I love being able to say that to
people in contact approaches! December is a great month for missionary
work! ....other than the sun going down at 4pm, that is. We had a
really funny guy get mad at us for knocking on his door "so late!" It
was only 6:30. =D
Elder Bishop and I are tearing it up here in the 5th
ward and we're already seeing a few miracles popping up. We have been
teaching an older lady, Wynelle, who has chosen to be baptized this next
Sunday and we're pretty stoked about that. The Lord has led us to a
few more very prepared people who have been devouring the gospel in the
past few days. Nikki is a single mother who had a Jehovah Witness
background but never really felt fulfilled. She was pretty
non-committal the first few times we taught her, but we had some time
just before church and we went by to invite her to come. She tried to
back out by saying that she was watching her 5 year old son, but then we
invited him to come be in Primary with the other kids and he was all
over that so she had to give in. Once she got there, she was poked by
the spirit numerous times through testimony meeting and relief society
and was being loved on by at least four of the sisters in the ward. By
the end of the meeting block she was all in and says she wants to be
baptized sometime this month! Woot!
We also started teaching a man named Jay who shows a
lot of promise and has great desires to change his life and find peace
through Jesus Christ. We've spoken a lot of the Atonement and prayer and
he is finding strength to overcome his addictions. Crazy thing is, he
was a professional chef not too long back and has cooked for several
famous mormons. He's on a first name/emailing basis with Steve Young!
Hahaha. How wild is that? Yeah, but he never made the connection that
they belonged to this religion until he started meeting with us and
doing some research into mormonism.
Our zone is in an interesting place right now. We
have four districts and three of those district leaders were called to
fill the position for the first time, so we're busy with helping them
figure things out and leading their areas. We also have a LOT of people
in training, so there is an incredible amount of young blood and
enthusiasm in the Gainesville Stake/Zone at this time. We've stayed
super busy and I don't think I've written in my journal in over two
weeks, so I may not even have any memories of this period when we get
through it. Hopefully I can sneak in a few pictures every now and
again.
I went on exchanges with the spanish missionaries
again this last week in Ocala and had an absolute blast. I've gotten to
the point where I can follow most of the basic three lessons as they're
being discussed in Spanish. Still working on being able to say
anything, but at least I can comprehend what's being discussed. I plan
on practicing my invitation to read the book of mormon, pray, and be
baptized in that language so that it will be ready by next month!
Mom, it sounds like your new job is pretty dry.
Alphabetically organizing any sort of clothing sounds like a mind
numbing task. Was this last Friday your first every Black Friday? I
can't remember you ever getting into the post-Thanksgiving sales rush in
years past. By the way, Elder Bishop will most likely NOT be the one to
finish me off. I've still got a substantial chunk of time and I have a
reputation for churning through companions. He is number 13, not
including my two MTC companions, and I think we'll only be together
another 4 weeks.
Tell the cousins that they had all better send me a
wedding announcement or else! Lol, I may not be able to come, but I
still like to keep up with such major events in the family.
Ben, I'm not sure if your mission president allows you to get
online for anything, but you can download the entire Book of Mormon in
just about any language from scriptures.lds.org
and then burn your own copies of the audio to CD if you need to do that
for your investigators. Any ideas of what would be helpful for you on
your mission that I can send you from Florida?
Jaclyn, yes, I can listen to music. Our mission is
pretty open with variety and genre. Have you ever heard of a group
called The Lower Lights? They've become a favorite. The last couple
EFY albums have been pretty good too. And of course, the always amazing
MoTab is a popular hit with missionaries.
Much Love!
Elder M.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.