Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Planning by the Spirit in WA

Family,
I am very happy to report that we have nothing like the weather that you are experiencing.  We usually stay in the high 30s up to 45 degrees or so...although we continue to be dumped on by a ton of rain.  We did have several days of no rain around the new year but that was very short lived.
 
We just had transfers today.  Transfers seem to be flying by right now.  Since I am training and the training program is for 12 weeks, I of course, didn't leave Renton.  I have a feeling that this could be the last transfer I will be here though. With the end of last transfer, I am now the oldest (missionary time) Spanish missionary in the mission.  A little scary because only one other Spanish elder has been out for longer then 4 months.
 
Right now, we have 1 investigator (the man from Puerto Rico and his family).  I only say one because we haven't been able to teach his wife or son too much because they work opposite shifts at work.  We, of course, have other people we are trying to visit and see, but nobody that we have taught too consistently.  They (the family) are progressing really nicely and it has been an absolute blast to work with them and get to know them better.  My Spanish ears are definitely not accustomed to listening to a Puerto Rican accent, and so I have been having to learn.  We have a family in the branch that is doing an amazing job fellowshipping them.  
 
 I think the awesome story of the week would have to be from this Saturday. These past couple of weeks we have had a hard time finding anyone home in the afternoon, and it seems like we haven't been 100% productive in what we try and do.  I commented that to my companion on Friday and told him we needed to seek the spirit better in nightly planning.  Later that night in planning, I felt the need to go see a less active man the next day.  We haven't been able to see this man for about 2 months because of his work schedule, and we have been by his house multiple times in the past with never seeing him.  We put him down though with faith that we would see him.  The next day at his house we knocked about 3 times, and we were about to turn and walk away when he answered the door.  It turns out that he broke 3 ribs in a bus/car accident a week ago.  After several days in the hospital and several more at his daughter's house, this was the first day home.  He has had a new job for about 2 weeks and was riding the bus up to it when the bus hit a car.  Of course, that isn't the awesome part of the story.  The awesome part is that we were guided to see him at the perfect timing...the day that he got home!  We had a really good visit with him.  Now with him having to be in bed all day everyday, he said he had time to read more in the Book of Mormon and Liahona, both he likes but always says he is to busy for it.
 
Love you all!
Elder Ben
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.