Well,
Mom, I'm not sure if our winter here is over or if we're just in the
eye of the storm, but we had a heat wave this week. Temperatures have
been absolutely perfect in the mid 70s (even got up to 80 once) and
college students have been running around in mini shorts and tank tops
again. President Barry hasn't released us from suit coat season yet
though, so we've been a little bit on the warm side as we're out
working. I hope Jake and Daniel tear it up this weekend at the
Painter's Half! I've actually gotten a lot more regular with running
here in Florida, so perhaps I'll join them for the next one....if it's
not negative 15 degrees outside, that is.
This last transfer we got the first of the 18 year old
elders and the wave of our 19 year old sisters begins in 3 more weeks. I
think we're getting in 15 of them or something in one swoop and then
another group 6 weeks later. Some sisters will have to have two
trainees at the same time to handle all of them. So yeah, it doesn't
surprise me that all of Alecia's friends are moving out. Tell Lou that
she should put her mission papers in -- forget about this boyfriend
nonsense, a mission is way better! Grandma says that Madison is thinking
about it too, so if the extended family hears this, tell her that I
strongly encourage a mission for her as well! =D
One of our district leaders down in Williston left us a
voicemail on Friday afternoon requesting that we call him back ASAP! We
called him back to find out that they were having an "emergency baptism"
the next day and needed us to come down to interview the man. A few
weeks ago, Elder Bishop and I had been called into the hospital to give a
blessing to a man whose wife has been an inactive member for about 20
years. Before we gave him a blessing, we discussed some things and he
said, "When I get out of this hospital, I think it's about time for me
to be baptized." We had returned a couple times over the next week and
read the scriptures with him, but he had been released and was still
recovering at home in Williston. Fortunately, he had been able to make
it to church that last week. We referred him to the elders down there
and they called him on Friday to setup a time when they could come meet
with him and he said, "Could I be
baptized tomorrow? I have a lot of family in town that I would like to
have be there for it." WHAT?! Ha! Incredible! So we approved it
with the bishop and headed down to interview him. The next day we
returned for his baptism, met all of his non-member extended family, and
several of them approached afterward and asked for copies of the Book
of Mormon and if they could meet with the Williston elders.
On the bummer side (for our area, at least) Brent and
Lorie got an incredible job offer back in Georgia and moved back
immediately to begin working. Fortunately, they are still in our
mission and we'll be getting the missionaries up there to visit them
pronto to help them remain solid for their upcoming baptism. I was a bit
down to hear that because this was the first time that I had seen an
enter family (two parents, and children) coming into the gospel
together, but I am happy that the Lord has blessed them with the
opportunities to provide for their family and that they recognize it as a
blessing from Him.
Ken is solid. Or, in his own words, he's
"concrete." We took him to institute on Tuesday, had a lesson and
basketball with the elders quorum on Thursday, church on Sunday, and
then the CES Devotional on Sunday night. President Uchtdorf spoke on
"Truth" and Ken received a spiritual witness that this is exactly where
God wants him to be. We're continuing to help him overcome some word of
wisdom difficulties, so his baptism date may be pushed back a little
bit, but he wants to quit and is making good progress on all of it, so
we are very hopeful and optimistic about his future. Here's the kicker:
his favorite color is white and he wants to go purchase a pure white
suit for Sundays! =P
Great week, great place, great people.
Loves!
Elder M.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.