Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy B-Day, Elder Ben!

Mom and Alecia, thank you for the birthday wishes.  I am sure that this birthday will be a happy one.  I can't think of anything better then teaching the gospel.  I don't have anything planned, but a family in the branch has invited us over to have lunch with them.  I think that they felt a little pity for us because we can't go to the branch New Year's party tonight because it starts after we have to be inside.  The same family gave me a birthday cake last week when we had an elders quorum get together at their house.  Although the cake looked too nice to put my face into, so I just cut it up and we ate it.  Maybe they didn't think that was very fun, and so want to get some cake on my face today.
 
It was great talking to and seeing everyone on Christmas day.  It was good to see that Daniel and Jacob haven't changed at all in personality. :)  I think the person that has changed the most has been Joe.  I am sure I wouldn't have recognized Kaden, Landen or Teyah though if I saw them.  I loved the package that I received and I thought it was wonderful.  I laughed when I saw the "utterly smooth" lotion and at first thought that it was really a product for cows. Turns out it really is quite nice. :)
 
This week was a bit of a struggle in the work.  I am not sure if people were out of town or what, but we had several days of no lessons or hardly even having people be home. The day after Christmas I went on an exchange with the district leader, and I had planned out a pretty good day I had thought.  Literally, nobody was even at their house that day.  My district leader was thinking it was really weird and that he has never seen that...neither had I.  Still not sure what was up with it.
We did have several highlights of the week though. First, we got a referral several weeks ago and finally were able to contact this man last Saturday.  He let us right in and was engaged in the lesson the whole time.  Really has the desires to learn and that is were it all starts.  Unfortunately, this man's only day off is Saturday, and so we have to wait a whole week to see him.
We also saw and had a lesson with the man from Puerto Rico. This man and his wife both work at a nearby McDonalds and usually work on totally opposite shifts, and so it is nearly impossible to teach them both at the same time.  The wife is pretty shy and so is reserved about coming out to activities but he (the husband) has been to church, the branch Christmas party, and the elders quorum get together.  He has really been fellowshipped well by the elders quorum president, and now the president has invited him over to his house several more times.  Most importantly, he has read the first couple of chapters in The Book of Mormon and likes reading it.  Hopefully, we can have a lesson with both of them this week.
 
My companion and I still continue to get along well, which I am thankful for. Even out of this hard week we found many things to laugh about and have fun. Missionary work can never be boring even when it is hard.  Seriously, it makes no sense on how happy you can be. You would think it would be completely the opposite it hard times.  Most of the things to laugh at are ourselves in tracting situations...when I say ourselves I mean me.  (I guess I can be funny even while trying to be serious).  I guess I still after months of doing it, I am not a professional with words, speaking, and expressing what I am thinking or feeling, and it can still be a bit of a tongue twister in the moment.   Tracting has become one of my favorite things, but I don't think you can master it.  Every door is a new situation and a new person, so it never gets old.
 
Well that is about it for this week. I hope you all have a happy new year!
 
Elder Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.