Wednesday, November 14, 2012
Jennie's Baptism in FL
Happy birthdays this coming week to the younger women of the Howell/Miller clan! ....I'm glad you reminded me, Mom, otherwise I would have completely forgotten!
Thanks for sending the letters/info - I'll look forward to getting that. I am quite positive that I'll be transferred in another week though, so don't send me anything else within the next couple weeks before I get you my new address.
Elder Chadwick and I had an epic week as we finished teaching Jennie the commandments and preparing her for her baptism. Words can't even describe how wonderful the service was on Saturday night, but it was by far a highlight of my mission thus far. Half the ward showed up to support, the father of her member fellowship family baptized her, and the Spirit was strong! Incredibly, one of our investigators came and he also brought his wife who to this point had been strongly against even listening as we taught her husband. She would leave the room every time we started discussing the gospel. I think this will turn a new page on his progression, because there was no denying the Spirit and the love that was present that night and I know she felt some of it.
This week has had some rather unique experiences as well. I spent a day up in High Springs on companion exchanges with the elders up in that branch; I never would have guessed it here in the Bible Belt, but apparently there is a very high concentration of Hare Krishna devotees in Alachua County, FL. There's even a Krishna temple up there. The weird thing was, they totally believe in Jesus Christ as a "spiritual master" but don't see any problems with meshing his teachings with their religion. I dunno, I can't claim to understand much of their beliefs, but the paintings they showed me of Krishna depicted a feminine looking, blue man with four arms whom they worship as God. Definitely an interesting day spent attempting to teach several of them the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.
I've decided that kids are pretty epic - they can be so spiritually sensitive. After Jennie's baptismal interview, we read some of 3 Nephi and then asked her 8 year old granddaughter to say the prayer. She had never prayed before and so I had to show her how and prompt her on everything to say, but even though she was repeating me word for word, the way she said it and the absolute sincerity just flooded the room with the Spirit. Wow!
"And behold, he preached the word unto your fathers, and a mighty change was also wrought in their hearts, and they humbled themselves and put their trust in the true and living God. And behold, they were faithful until the end; therefore they were saved....And now behold, I say unto you, my brethren, if ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?" - Alma 5:13,26
Good luck with the job search. Love you all!
Elder M.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.