Hi Mom!
Glad to hear that you found a new place to live and are
not living in a U-Haul truck. That's pretty remarkable how you were able
to load the truck in faith and sign for a new place that evening and
move in.
God will always provide a way!
Hurricane Sandy passed us by without too much more than a lot of
clouds and some cold weather. I don't remember it getting this cold
until December last year and I was 250 miles further north in South
Carolina. You're right though, people are telling us that it will be
pretty bad when it hits up around the D.C./New York area tomorrow. Lots
of flooding, lots of damage. A good time for people to be humble,
remember God, and repent. Also a good opportunity for lots of love and
service and opportunities for hearts to change.
This week has been a lot of fun. I was on companion exchanges in
the 3rd Ward with Elder Lisonbee and they've really been struggling
lately with finding new investigators and not having anyone to teach.
We headed out on bikes and just started contacting everyone. By the end
of the day we had four new investigators - a single father looking for a
better life; a young woman who has never known peace even though her
dad is a Baptist pastor; and a great couple where the wife had grown up
in Ogden, had gone to seminary for four years, and already believes most
of what we teach! God is good. The next day I went on another
exchange with the Zone Leaders and had a blast re-uniting with Elder
Grant in the 5th ward. He's one of the best missionaries I've ever known
- down to his last 3 weeks in the mission and still 100% focused on the
work. We stepped it up a notch and had several back to back lessons
that brought the
Spirit so strongly and were able to set 3 baptismal dates that day
alone. Great day.
Elder Chadwick and I were able to start teaching a young man last
night who had gone through bad experiences with missionaries in the
past. Apparently they had pressured him a lot and he threw up a lot of
barriers. That was last year. In the past few months, he read through
the entire Book of Mormon and had a change of heart. He's still not
entirely sure, but he approached us with the idea of being baptized in
December around Christmas, so we take that as a positive sign. ;)
Once again, it shows the power that is in the scriptures. The Book of
Mormon changes lives! (Or more accurately, the Spirit changes lives and
the Spirit testifies as we read the Book of Mormon!)
I'm down to my last 3 weeks in Gainesville (I suspect) and Elder
Chadwick and I have some bold plans to finish up his training. We're
hoping to have 2 baptisms (possibly 3) before I leave with the
progressing investigators that we have. One of them is named Gabriel. I
contacted him on Facebook about a month ago (he's an online friend of a
recent convert) and we started talking online. Two weeks ago he
randomly called us and said, "Elders, I need to change my life. Can we
meet?" YES! So we started meeting at a Burger King and have taught him
a lot about the Atonement and Repentance. He's been heavy into drugs
and various other sins for most of his life, but that night after our
first lesson, he dumped out all of his narcotics and flushed them away
and has been clean for the last 10 days. I've been very surprised and
overjoyed with his comprehension of total repentance extending to all
aspects of his
life. We hadn't even taught him the law of chastity yet, but he told
us that since our first meeting, several women have tried to hit on him
and he flat out refused telling them that his life is given to Jesus
now. Whenever he feels tempted, he turns to the Book of Mormon and finds
great strength from it. He was blown away by the Spirit as we read
Joseph Smith History with him and that's when he told us he wants to be
baptized. We have his date set for the 11th of November. I've really
gained a witness as a missionary that no matter what a person has done
or been in life, if we truly want to repent, Christ allows us to change
and takes the burdens of the past away. I've seen it time and again.
"Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow. Though
they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool" (Isaiah 1:18).
God is great, missions are amazing, and I love being a part of this!
Elder M.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.