Monday, October 22, 2012

100 New Missionaries Going to FL

Thanks for the photos, Mom!  It was fun to see Gabe and Joe as unhappy about pictures as I ever was.  Hahaha, I think that's a Howell family trait to evade the camera.  Garret and Courtney were looking fabulous!

This week was somewhat eventful.  I spent half of it in Jacksonville at a Leadership Training Meeting and had an absolute blast!  The Spirit was strong as we discussed the Doctrine of Christ (always do), obedience, and revelation through church attendance.  On Wednesday night while we were up there, I was assigned to work in the St. Johns area.  It was rather interesting returning to my old area, visiting with some of the people I taught a year and a half ago and looking through the area book at all the formers I had with Elder Summers and Mcfarland.  It was a productive evening though!  In 3 hours, we had 4 church tours lined up and committed two people to baptism!

We also had a stake conference this weekend here in Gainesville and were able to get several of our investigators to come. President and Sister Barry had been invited to be there, so they came down and spoke on the need for teaching the youth to live the Doctrine of Christ (faith, repentance, etc) in order to prepare them for missionary service. Just before them, we had a recently returned missionary speak and share his experiences of a mission in Peru.  One of our investigators who has been reading for a long time but holding out on any other commitments was overwhelmed by the Spirit during these talks and gained a witness that it's true!  YES!!!!

Well, that's about it for this week. Elder Chadwick and I are still plugging away.  President Barry was told by the church mission department to expect an additional 100 missionaries in the next few months; from 150 that we're at right now to 250-280.  I have no idea where we'll put that many missionaries, but I suppose most wards will be doubling up.  It's an exciting time to be in the work for sure!  Anyway, everyone that's already out here is gearing up to train this monster tidal wave of incoming elders and sisters.  Hopefully we'll be ready for it.

Much Love,

Elder M. Howell


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.