Tuesday, August 21, 2012

100% Tracting Success!

The family moved to Wellsville, huh? Lol, it seems like everyone migrated to Cache Valley: us, the McGarry's, Jessica.  It's just the place to be!  It's strange  to think that Gabe and Joe will be going to high school where Jake and I used to teach dance...  Your story of moving on faith was pretty inspiring.  God always pulls through! (whew!)
See if you can hit up Bear Lake at least once before the summer ends - I love making that trip up the canyon and would go pretty frequently the last few years.  May I also recommend the Crimson Trail in September and perhaps the Wind Caves.  Ask Jake about them.  Jessica Halling and I hiked up the Wellsville mountain a couple years ago - it's a pretty steep hike, but the view is incredible from the top.  You can see all of Cache Valley, Rattlesnake Canyon, Brigham City, up into Idaho, etc!
Does Wellsville have it's own stake or is it combined with Hyrum, Paradise, Mendon, and all those other itty bitty towns I used to drive around in? I'm glad that you have social neighbors, but you made me somewhat nervous with that comment of introducing yourself as having 6 single sons.  Don't you dare be giving out any information on me!  =P  I expect to be fully anonymous without anyone knowing a speck about me when I return in March!  Then again, a horse farm with 2 acres sounds like a good place to hide out....

Ok, so I have a story for you.  Elder Ben may appreciate this one more than the rest of you.  Last night, Elder Grant and I were not finding much success until we went to tract around our ward mission leader.  We started with a house where a super nice guy came out and asked us to return on Tuesday and then referred us to his next neighbor. On we went, from house to house, each one responding positively and referring us to the next neighbor as well until we had gone through the entire street with a 100% success rate!!!!!  EVERY SINGLE PERSON WE TALKED WITH INVITED US BACK!!! That NEVER happens!!!!  Haha, especially with tracting which is well known as being one of the least effective ways of finding new investigators. Tomorrow evening is looking to be pretty productive when we return to that area to teach all of these people.

Saturday night I received a call from President Barry asking me to train a new missionary this next transfer cycle. We have a huge incoming group of 20 missionaries from the MTC and next time it will be almost as large with 17.  There is a 12 week (2 transfer) training program so in another six weeks, over half of the mission (74 missionaries total) will be involved in the training program.  Yikes!  Lots of green fire and enthusiasm throughout the mission I'm sure!  Not sure yet if I'll be staying here in Gainesville or not for that.

My thought for this week:  I've realized how often the scriptures reference "remembering" what the Lord has said and done in the past (Luke 24:8).  Both Nephi (1 Nephi 11:1) and Joseph F. Smith (D&C 138:1-2, 11) received visions as they "sat pondering" the ways of the Lord and as they did so the Spirit rested upon them, enlightened their understanding, and gave them revelations that are now recorded in scripture.  ...."treasure up in your minds continually the words of life" (D&C 84:85).  "thou shalt meditate therein day and night" (Joshua 1:8).  These have given me a greater awareness and desire to reflect, ponder, or meditate throughout the day on the things I've learned during studies in the morning. Hopefully I'll be able to keep a greater measure of the Spirit with me in my contacting situations and teaching opportunities as I do so.

Have a great first week back at school!

Lovies,
Elder M.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.