Hello Family!
Well this week we have had some crazy experiences! No joke I think the mission can be the best way to never be bored in your life. There seems to always be something going on. First off to answer your questions: No the guy from Montana still isn't here. He doesn't have any cell phone reception where he is now so we only get to talk to him when he calls us. He said that he would be here in 10 days and that was 2 weeks ago. We are expecting him to show up anytime though. Teaching the adopted kids is going great. The one that is over 8 should be baptized in November, but it looks like it will be after transfers so I am not to sure if I will still be here to see it. The guy from Guatemala we haven't been able to see recently but hopefully soon. Oh, and "improve" in Spanish is ''mejorar".....ya not very close so it was just a mess up on my part. :(
OK so on Saturday we had a SWEET lesson with a couple that we just recently tracted into. This was our second time teaching them and we were going over the gospel of Jesus Christ. The great thing is the women is the most humble investigator we have ever had here. When we were teaching she said that she felt good about everything we taught. She said that she has been taught by other religions but has never found what she is looking for and she has been praying for someone to come to them and teach them. After the lesson we invited one of them to pray and she was really fast to say she would (this in itself is a huge miracle for us, most people would rather not say a prayer or have never said a prayer in their life so are reluctant to do it) she got about two sentences (just thanking God for things in her life and the opportunity to learn about the gospel) into her prayer when she suddenly stopped. We waited in silence for about 10 seconds and then heard that she was crying. Her husband was a bit concerned for a minute and asked her if she was sad. She then said "no, I feel really good it is something so strong and I have never felt it before." Right as she said that the spirit just swept into the room really strong. After talking about the Holy Ghost and bearing testimony of it she was able to finish her prayer. So neat to have this lesson. I can't even explain the feeling that was in that room, but it was incredible. This is what makes the mission worth it!
Saturday night we also had a Halloween party at the church. We decided that we needed to wear some kind of costume so we went to a local thrift store and Elder Wilkins bought some crazy wig and I got a cowboy hat and just wore the aviator glasses that I have out here. When I walked into the church building all of the people in the Spanish branch thought that I was a Texas immigration officer, and I had a couple from the English ward say that I looked exactly like the main character for the T.V. show "Dallas." (Maybe you will know what that was mom I guess it was like in the 80's or something when it was playing.) Anyways I got a couple of pictures with the costume and will send them to you guys so you can see it.
Sunday night (last night) I had the worst moment of my life. We went over to a part members house to have a lesson. The young couple has a kid and are living with the guys parents who are also members. We were teaching the young couple and everyone else was in the backroom. We were just about to finish up the lesson when the grandpa comes running in with his one year old granddaughter in his arms (baby of the people we are teaching) and screaming the whole time. In about 1 second we realize that the baby has stopped breathing. The whole family started freaking out. Elder Wilkins and I most likely weren't the most calm about everything but comparison we were cool as a cucumber. Elder Wilkins tosses me the cell phone to call 911 as he and the other guy give the baby a very fast blessing. Mean while I have one of the worst connections with 911 and the operator can hardly hear me and I'm running out side to see the address on the apartment complex, because I have no idea what it is. Latter I hear that while I was on the phone the baby gasped and started to breath again. Everyone tended to the baby. And I waited out side praying so hard that everything will be ok, and then helped direct the firefighter paramedics to the right apartment number. Turns out for all you people that are nurses in the family that the baby has been having a fever. The paramedic said that sometimes when the temperature of the body gets to hot it will go into a seizure of something which gets it to cool down. I cant remember all the nice medical terms he used but that was about the just of it. They took the baby to the hospital quickly after the incident to make sure that was it. Everything is fine, but it was sure scary when it was going on. It is good to know that we are in places in the right time to be able to help out.
These are just the things that really made the weekend memorable, so much more that I don't have time to write.
With love
Well this week we have had some crazy experiences! No joke I think the mission can be the best way to never be bored in your life. There seems to always be something going on. First off to answer your questions: No the guy from Montana still isn't here. He doesn't have any cell phone reception where he is now so we only get to talk to him when he calls us. He said that he would be here in 10 days and that was 2 weeks ago. We are expecting him to show up anytime though. Teaching the adopted kids is going great. The one that is over 8 should be baptized in November, but it looks like it will be after transfers so I am not to sure if I will still be here to see it. The guy from Guatemala we haven't been able to see recently but hopefully soon. Oh, and "improve" in Spanish is ''mejorar".....ya not very close so it was just a mess up on my part. :(
OK so on Saturday we had a SWEET lesson with a couple that we just recently tracted into. This was our second time teaching them and we were going over the gospel of Jesus Christ. The great thing is the women is the most humble investigator we have ever had here. When we were teaching she said that she felt good about everything we taught. She said that she has been taught by other religions but has never found what she is looking for and she has been praying for someone to come to them and teach them. After the lesson we invited one of them to pray and she was really fast to say she would (this in itself is a huge miracle for us, most people would rather not say a prayer or have never said a prayer in their life so are reluctant to do it) she got about two sentences (just thanking God for things in her life and the opportunity to learn about the gospel) into her prayer when she suddenly stopped. We waited in silence for about 10 seconds and then heard that she was crying. Her husband was a bit concerned for a minute and asked her if she was sad. She then said "no, I feel really good it is something so strong and I have never felt it before." Right as she said that the spirit just swept into the room really strong. After talking about the Holy Ghost and bearing testimony of it she was able to finish her prayer. So neat to have this lesson. I can't even explain the feeling that was in that room, but it was incredible. This is what makes the mission worth it!
Saturday night we also had a Halloween party at the church. We decided that we needed to wear some kind of costume so we went to a local thrift store and Elder Wilkins bought some crazy wig and I got a cowboy hat and just wore the aviator glasses that I have out here. When I walked into the church building all of the people in the Spanish branch thought that I was a Texas immigration officer, and I had a couple from the English ward say that I looked exactly like the main character for the T.V. show "Dallas." (Maybe you will know what that was mom I guess it was like in the 80's or something when it was playing.) Anyways I got a couple of pictures with the costume and will send them to you guys so you can see it.
Sunday night (last night) I had the worst moment of my life. We went over to a part members house to have a lesson. The young couple has a kid and are living with the guys parents who are also members. We were teaching the young couple and everyone else was in the backroom. We were just about to finish up the lesson when the grandpa comes running in with his one year old granddaughter in his arms (baby of the people we are teaching) and screaming the whole time. In about 1 second we realize that the baby has stopped breathing. The whole family started freaking out. Elder Wilkins and I most likely weren't the most calm about everything but comparison we were cool as a cucumber. Elder Wilkins tosses me the cell phone to call 911 as he and the other guy give the baby a very fast blessing. Mean while I have one of the worst connections with 911 and the operator can hardly hear me and I'm running out side to see the address on the apartment complex, because I have no idea what it is. Latter I hear that while I was on the phone the baby gasped and started to breath again. Everyone tended to the baby. And I waited out side praying so hard that everything will be ok, and then helped direct the firefighter paramedics to the right apartment number. Turns out for all you people that are nurses in the family that the baby has been having a fever. The paramedic said that sometimes when the temperature of the body gets to hot it will go into a seizure of something which gets it to cool down. I cant remember all the nice medical terms he used but that was about the just of it. They took the baby to the hospital quickly after the incident to make sure that was it. Everything is fine, but it was sure scary when it was going on. It is good to know that we are in places in the right time to be able to help out.
These are just the things that really made the weekend memorable, so much more that I don't have time to write.
With love
Elder Howell
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.