This week has been somewhat of a blur. Elder Whitby finally got his visa to Brazil cleared and he packed his bags in a rush. President screeched into the parking lot with the mission van, threw out my new companion, loaded up Elder Whitby and sped off to the airport to get him there on time. Lol, so now I'm with Elder Fuller, my 9th companion of this mission experience. He's from Sandy, UT and has been out just over a year, but is a really solid missionary and just from the past few days I can already tell that we are going to do wonderful things here in Jacksonville together. And have a blast doing it! He's also like 6'3", so he towers over everyone and makes me look like a dwarf.
Well, I attached a picture from Jessica's baptism and then one of Elder Whitby and I about 3 minutes before he left. His head is actually covering most of the area that we work in and I'm pointing to the area that some sisters in our zone are assigned to.I would have to say the highlight of the week was yesterday afternoon when this prickly old military man that we've been visiting for several months finally expressed interest in reading the Book of Mormon. We gave him a large print edition and he started devouring it - by the time we left he was already through the introduction and the witnesses. We're hoping for a miracle and I know it's possible! There really isn't any other book like that one to change hearts.
Benji, I know exactly what you mean with the poor families. That trailer park that we are thinking of starting a branch in is loaded with them. Only one person in the entire park has a car and most are struggling to feed their families and don't have any electricity, etc. We've been able to help out a couple of them, but not nearly as much as we would like since many members of the ward are also relying on the bishop's storehouse for aid. Sigh, so we just try and teach them as best we can. Sometimes though, you need to meet their physical needs before they are open enough to allow their spiritual needs to be fed. Good luck.
Love ya!
Elder M.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.