Mi Familia,
Wow, what can I say....mission life is crazy! They really do just toss you right in here. I entered my classroom about 20 minutes after you dropped me off and the teacher started to talk to me in Spanish! The name tag may be in Spanish but that doesn't mean I understand it. Hopefully I'll learn fast!
The first couple of days here seemed like an eternity....by the end of the first day (like 7 hours) I felt like I had been here at least a week! And the second day was no better. Most of the missionaries that have been here for a couple weeks say that if you make it past Sunday then the days start to pick up. Its only Saturday but I think the time is already picking up. Things are running smoother and we basically know our schedule. I guess the weeks start to feel like days if you stay in here long enough.
The first day we met our companions. My companion is Elder Lanier from Minnesota. Elder Lanier will be serving in the Tempe Arizona mission. He has been out here for about a year though going to school at the UVU campus. Really neat guy and we work pretty well together. Funny story about Elder Lanier....His parents just moved to Scottsdale AZ about three months ago! I guess he will just be able to bike home at the end of his mission :)
The rest of my district is: Elder Jensen from Richfield, Utah
Elder Richards from Washington D.C.
Elder Stevenson from Tremonton, Utah
Elder Powell from Arizona
Elder Archer from California
Elder Jackson from Colorado
Sister Naumann from Layton
Sister Hickman form Nebraska
Sister Osborn from Provo, Utah
Luckily I have a really mature district. These Elders don't act like 19 year olds which is amazing for me! Staying in a 10x15 foot room with immature people for 9 hours a day could get old fast. Hahah
Friday we really dived into the Spanish side of things. We learned how to pray in Spanish and then were told to try and not pray in English for the rest of the time in the MTC. Talk about a shock. Most of my prayers (that aren't personal morning and night prayers) will be really repetitive until I learn some more words. Our teachers will be doing a progressive investigator roll play with us for practice. Elder Lanier and I actually work pretty well together and I thought we taught the first lesson pretty nicely. I'm supposed to have and teach the first lesson in Spanish on Tuesday. I think already I have expanded my Spanish vocabulary by about 500% in the first two days. The Hermanas seem to pick up on the Spanish a bit faster then the Elders. I think part of it is Hermana Hickman already knows a little Spanish and is helping the other two out....or they are just smarter.
For you people that are sending Dear Elders keep it up!!! It is always good to hear from the outside world and what is happening in your lives. My district has started calling me the "Letter King" because the first two days here I got 9 letters! Keep it up!
Mom, if you could call Elder Martin for me about a bike that would be great. And I will also need some flash cards for writing Spanish words/phrases on. Thank you! Sheena, I'm glad to get your letters. I actually mailed you a letter today. Be looking for it. Alecia, it is crazy that you are moving so soon. Have fun in AZ. McKay, thank you for the advice letter. I will implement it.
Well time is running out for me. I have to go.
With love,
Elder Howell
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.