Friday, May 20, 2011

Elder B. Howell

Family and Friends,

First off, thank you for the packages.  I received both -- the one from my mom as well as one from Sheena.  I now have a full drawer in my room just for candy and food!  What more can a teenage boy ask for?

Well I got past one week at the MTC....only 8 more to go.   I have only been here a week but already the days are blurring together.  There is no difference in day to day life.  Sometimes the schedule changes around and your class will be at a different time, but that is just about it.  The food here is pretty bad, most likely because I was raised on my mothers awesome food and nothing can top that.  As McKay said before, I am really thankful to have salad/salad wraps here -- they have saved me many a time from going hungry.   My companion (Elder Lanier) never eats much so our meals are very fast.  With him not eating I have to eat less also so we can get done at the same time.  Even with eating less than at home and having gym time 5 times a week, I think I still gained about two pounds this first week.  Not good.   Elder Lanier is the district leader so he has a little bit more on his plate then I have on mine.  Even with a couple of hours a day that I have to study, what I want I feel like I don't have time to get it all done.

The MTC is more mental then anything else.  I am always tired and get headaches fast in here.  Spanish has kind of hit a stop for the past couple of days.  I feel like a haven't gotten much better.  Before that I felt like I was learning it pretty well.  I guess it has only been one week and I shouldn't be too hard on myself, it will come with time.  One of my teachers has started his "investigator" roll playing -- a man that doesn't speak any English.  This makes it pretty hard to teach a lesson when I only have a 30 word vocabulary.  And then he just rambles off on some Spanish that my companion and I can't understand and we just have to nod our heads and try and understand.  Let's just say that right now the English lessons go a bit smoother.

We have had some fun in here.  My district really gets along well with each other, sometimes I almost think too well and we need to get back on track with the work.  Elder Jackson from Colorado brought a whole suitcase full of Mountain Dew with him.  We guessed it was about 70 pounds of Dew.  It doesn't really matter to me if he has it because I don't drink it.  The other Elders are just loving it.

We had a zone game night for the last half hour of the day one night and played signs....yes, maybe not the most spiritual thing you can do with your time, but you need a time to just have fun here.

Sundays are a little more relaxed here.  We have some personal time.  And we have a time to take a temple walk.  Just a great time to get out of the classroom.  Our district is great, but staying in a 10x15 foot classroom with 11 other people can get old and it's nice to get out and stretch your legs.   Also on Sundays and Tuesday we have firesides.  This past week we had Cecil O. Samuelson and Richard G. Hinckely.  Both amazing speakers.

P-days will be on Thursdays while I am at the MTC.  I will be able to go to the temple and write all my letters on that day.

Gym time is the thing keeping me sane here.  I don't have to be right by my companion during that time -- just in the same building.  So I get to run around the track by myself...because nobody else runs!  I have also taken up some weight lifting, something I have never been into, but I can already tell the difference in strength.  So when I come out of the MTC, I may be fatter but my arms will be bigger!!! hahah.  Well I have to go, time is almost out.

Thank you for all the support from everyone
Elder Howell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.