This week has been a fun one! For example...
Last Monday, Elder Housel and I decided to swing by the Rasmussen home to introduce me and see if we could boost their enthusiasm to share the gospel, get referrals, etc. We walked in and I immediately thought, "hmmm, this man looks familiar," but I couldn't quite place it. We started chatting and he asked me where I was from; "oh, just a small town in Utah by the name of Manti." "Manti! Do you know my brother, Brent?!" "Yeah! He's in my ward!" Lol, so yeah, I happened to bump into Brent Rasmussen's brother who is living in a tiny town in South Carolina 2,000 miles away from home. The story continues though. His wife comes in from the kitchen and says, "did I hear something about Manti?" so he tells her the whole story and then she pops off with, "oh well you might know my sister; she's married to a James Geloff. Do you happen to know either of them?" Bahahaha! "Yes, I know your sister Sharee and James! I went to high school with both of them!" Wow, what a small world. I've also found several people who've gone to Snow College and/or Utah State since I've been here, so I've decided that the military brings a lot of people from home to places they otherwise wouldn't be.
On Saturday, we had the baptismal service for, Nick, one of the most prepared 11 year old kids I have ever met. We were having a lesson with the whole family talking about occasions when they have felt the Spirit and were going around, one by one, sharing experiences. When we asked him when he felt the Spirit, he told us, "when I'm reading in the Book of Mormon, especially from Enos." What?! Haha! I didn't even know who Enos was when I was 11 much less have that book as a favorite! The next day in his baptismal interview, Elder Bishop (district leader) asked him why he hadn't been baptized a few months prior with his older brother and his reply was simply, "because God hadn't told me it was right yet." He'll be an amazing missionary someday.
My new companion is Elder Preston Housel, from Salt Lake City. He's only been out for two transfers and has been in Beaufort the whole time, so I'm suspecting I was brought in to phase him out. However, we work very well together and I'm glad President Barry put us here. He says we've already accomplished more together than he did in the past few months, so I'm not sure if that's a compliment to me, or just means his trainer was ineffective, but I'm glad he's happy to be with me as well.
New Years eve was an odd day to be out and about. I think almost everyone we talked with was drunk or in process of getting there. Thankfully, we didn't get run over or anything. Thank you Grandma and Grandpa for that new light! It is very bright and much better than my last one! Benj, if you got a cake to the face, I want to see the photo of that one! Hahaha! I hope you had a wonderful birthday with minimal tracting and numerous appointments! ;-)
Mom, I was good friends with both Caleb and Randy Mellor and would like to see Caleb's announcement. I've been suspecting/awaiting that engagement for several years now. If you see them, give them my congratulations. =) It sounds like Jake and Daniel are both staying active on the dating scene. Tell Jake that he has nothing to fear - he's competed at the international level in Vancouver! =D (BTW, let Daniel know that I never understood the big deal about "meeting the parents." All the parents I've ever met have been very nice and usually seemed to like me.... Just sayin'.)
Well, I love you all! Thanks so much for the Christmas package, Mom, and also for yours Grandma and Grandpa! Like Benj, I think I now have enough sweets to last me the next 10 months, so maybe I'll share with the other elders. :) I loved the photo book, Mom, nicely done!
Ya'll have a happy new year!
Elder M.